What is Strip Test?
Strip testing provides an economical test solution for a semiconductor market demanding increased miniaturization of wireless and consumer products that are requiring smaller and thinner packages.
The Strip Test process unifies assembly and test within a single assembly production line, where final electrical testing of devices is seamlessly performed within the assembly process while the package is still embodied within an assembly strip. Within this assembly process, the critical requirement for Strip Testing is the electrical isolation of the devices within an assembly strip before it is tested. A Strip Test production line also requires a special Strip Test handler and load board for delivering the devices to the tester while they are still in strip form.
Advantages of Strip Test
After optimization of JCET’s first Strip Test production line, JCET tested the same device on both a Strip Test production line and a conventional test production line using a pick-and-place handler. These production runs using the same device on both the old and new technology revealed the following benefits from Strip Testing:
• Significantly lower retest from the visual alignment system that is standard on all Strip Test handlers
• An opportunity to eliminate the Retest stage entirely since the difference between first pass yields and Final Test yields from Strip Test is negligible
• Significant reduction in production cycle time by seamlessly integrating the test process within the assembly process
• Significant increase in throughput because Strip Test places no constraints on parallel testing; parallel testing is limited only by the number of resources available on the tester
• Elimination of the “normal” manufacturing stoppages (for example, handler jams and replacement of device tubes) associated with the testing of small packages
• Reduction in physical handling, resulting in significantly fewer handling mistakes
By design, Strip Testing enables High Parallel Test Solutions
Strip Test Solutions
A Strip Test production line must be customized for different assembly processes depending on the way a device is isolated within the strip for testing. JCET currently offers both a Punch Isolation and Saw Isolation Strip Test production line.
Strip Test Process with Punch Isolation
Strip Test Process with Saw Isolation
3D Vision Inspection Systems
We perform 100% 3D inspection of every device using automatic scanners that check for planarity (warpage), pitch, orientation, marking and package dimensions. We also offer the capability to correct and re-inspect small defects in good devices to minimize waste (disposal of recoverable devices) at Post Test.
Tape and Reel
JCET provides 100% taping and de-taping capability. High speed tape and reel services are available for most package types to avoid late shipments due to bottlenecks at Post Test.
Custom Post Test Services
JCET also has the expertise and flexibility to support custom Post Test requirements, such as serialization of units and special IT data management requirements. We use automated visual aid systems to display a customer’s specified packing method and bill of materials. Label generation is also fully automated including the automatic generation of device-dependent, Moisture Sensitivity Levels (MSL) labels. We use vacuum aluminum packing bags with bar code labeling, but can also support custom requirements.